Monday 7 September 2009

Safe and sound in Spain

So I know this is quite late, but I've noticed that I've repeated a lot in the emails I write and that it would be better to just start a blog. I didn't want to do this because I don't want people to feel obligated to read it, but for those of who are interested in stalking me or for those who simply want to read this once and then forget about it, here is my blog.
I arrived safe and sound in Spain almost a week ago, though it seems like a month ago. I actually had very little culture shock. No crying here! I love my host mom. My only complaint is that she feeds me soooooo much, and that's not a bad complaint to have. In Spain, it's rude to not eat everything that is given to you on your plate. I know my mom wouldn't care if I told her I didn't want it, but I'm attempting to do things the spanish way as much as possible. I'm even eating breakfast at 11 am, lunch at 3pm, and dinner at 10pm! I have only seen my host brother for about 2 hours total because he lives with his dad most of the time, but he seems nice.
So far I've been able to understand more Spanish than I expected. My mother and professors speak very clearly, but it can be difficult to talk to people on the street because they speak faster and use slang. I'm not very good at speaking, but I can at least communicate what I'm trying to say.
So far, I've only traveled around Alcala (my home city) and Madrid (about 30 minutes from Alcala), though 2 other Butler students and I tried to find our way to a Walmart type store in Madrid on Saturday. We took the bus we were supposed to, but an hour later ended up back where we started. So we got off and asked an old man. He told us how to get to it a completely different way than we were told during orientation. 4 hours later we made it there. Quite an interesting learning experience. If any of you are ever in Spain, DO befriend little old men who will help you find your way. :) We found out later that the first bus makes a complete loop around the city back to where it started and then goes on to the store, so you just have to stay on it when you get back to the beginning. Well, now we know. And have some very hilarious memories!
I have lots more to tell, but won't bore you with too many details. Just know I'm safe, having a good time, and meeting lots of people from lots of different places. Hasta Luego (See you later!)
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment